A classic villa along Amsterdam’s Vondelpark is extended and refurbished. Since its initial construction in 1911, the house has been frequently augmented, most often with questionable results. After stripping the house of its false ceilings, disproportionate window frames and other unfortunate amendments, the spatial potential became evident.
Attempts by previous architects to turn the house into a modernist open-plan villa would be reversed, returning the house to its original identity. A veranda was added, overlooking Vondelpark. Existing detailing in the building’s masonry was used as an inspiration for the refined steel structure.